RTF Water Saver®
Sod Certified Grower
On a sports field there is a game to be played, a memory to be cherished, and a turf to withstand the wear. RTF Water Saver Sod can outplay and outlast other ordinary tall fescue sods.
Of significance to professional turf managers is RTF’s ability to self repair. The new RTF rhizome technology will fill in damaged bare spots and produce a more attractive turf area. The rhizome nature of RTF is similar to Kentucky bluegrass. However, unlike Kentucky bluegrass RTF will thrive in the transition zone climate and all other tall fescue turf regions.
What RTF Water Saver Sod can do to benefit your Sports Turf?
See common problems and solutions in FAQ below…
Damaged Turf, divots, holes
Durable turf that is still attractive
Browns out in summer heat
Weed Problems and weed growth
Fresh cut through RTF
Re-growth after 2 months
Re-growth after 4 months
Re-growth after 11 months
• Self Repairing
• Strong, deep root system and drought tolerance
• Grows great in sun or shade
• Excellent color and density
• Excellent insect and disease resistance
• Improved value for the turf professional
All other fescues roots
• Repairs itself
• Fills in bare spots
• Prevents “wide leafed ugly clumps”
Rhizomatous Tall Fescue (RTF®) is an advanced generation of turf-type tall fescue which produces rhizomes. A rhizome is an underground stem that penetrates through the soil to spread the plant. Rhizomes send shoots up to the soil surface while extending new roots downward, forming a new plant. The rhizomatous nature of RTF is similar to Kentucky bluegrass. However, unlike Kentucky bluegrass it will survive the transition zone climate and other tall fescue regions.
• Quickly fills in damaged or open spots with new shoot of grass
• High level of traffic tolerance
• Dense turf without open areas prevents weed growth
Strong, Deep Root System and Drought Tolerance
• Rapid development of a deep root system
• Excellent drought and heat tolerance with less irrigation
• Adaptable to a wide range of soil conditions
Grows Great in Sun or Shade
• Excellent in the transition zone climate and other tall fescue turf regions
• Will not brown out in the intense summer heat
• One of the most shade tolerant cool season grasses
Excellent Color and Density
• Has fine leaves which produce a very dense uniform sod
• Early spring greenup
• Withstands stressful hot temperatures and keeps its rich green color
Excellent Insect and Disease Resistance
• Endophyte enhanced for improved insect, disease and drought tolerance
• Environmentally friendly, reduces chemical and fertilizer inputs
Improved Value for the Turf Professional
• RTF Sod requires less overseeding, has fewer weed problems and
prevents “wide-leafed ugly clumps” of tall fescue plants
• Young plants first build the root and shoot system; then concentrate on
producing rhizomes. With RTF sod, the rhizomes are already developed
• RTF sod, with the aid of rhizomes anchors itself faster, water requirements
are reduced and turf can be used sooner.
® RTF is a registered trademark of BARENBRUG.
We have been redesigning bunkers on our course this past year. Our choice of grass for our new bunker faces is RTF. The reason for using RTF is because it tolerates the heat and uses less water than other turf varieties. RTF’s rhizome production also holds up on the bunker faces compared to other Tall Fescues.